Answered By: Sandie Brunnen Last Updated: Jul 22, 2015 Views: 636
Sir Charles Sydney Jones (1872-1947) was a partner in Mssrs Alfred Holt & Co., a shipping line. He was High Sheriff of Lancashire in 1929, Lord Mayor of Liverpool for 4 successive years from 1938 - 42 and was Liberal MP for West Derby for a brief time. He was knighted in 1937.
He held the following offices in the University:
- Treasurer of the University 1918-1930
- President of the Council of the University 1930-36
- Pro-Chancellor of the University, 1936-42
He was a generous benefactor of the University. His numerous gifts include:
- New wing for the then University Athletics Club
- All the houses on the north side of Abercromby Square. One was used to extend the Social Science Department and two became the Education Department, the completed reconstruction being done by Jones's architect brother.
- A permanent endowment for the existing chair of Classical Archaeology
- Funding for a special lectureship in Art
He left his residuary estate of £40,000, his home and its contents to the University. The house 'Eastbourne', Princes Park, became the Vice-Chancellor's Lodge. The house contents included:
- Books, illuminated manuscripts, rare first editions, fine examples of early printing
- Fine china and his collection of pictures. Some of these items can be viewed in the Victoria Museum and Art Gallery
Rare books and manuscripts donated by Sir Charles Sydney Jones, and papers relating to him in the University archive can be consulted in Special Collections & Archives.