Answered By: Sandie Brunnen Last Updated: Apr 26, 2017 Views: 1499
The Library introduced a new 'fairer fines' policy on Monday 5 September 2016. Fines are now only imposed on standard and 7-day loan items if the item is overdue and has been reserved by another Library customer.
For other items the new charges are:
Overdue reserved books - £1 per day
Short loan - £1 immediate fine and £1 per day thereafter
Equipment e.g. head phones - £1 immediate fine and £1 per day thereafter
Laptops - £1 immediate fine and £1 per hour thereafter up to a maximum of £5 per loan
Non-reserved items that are overdue
- Though there are no fines for unreserved items, we do ask that Library customers continue to monitor their loans regularly through My Library Record, and renew items as they become due. This is important so that you are aware if an item you have on loan has been reserved. Please return items as soon as they are no longer required, so they are available to others.
- A Courtesy notice is sent the day before the item is due back reminding the borrower to return or renew.
- You will still receive overdue notices if items are not returned or renewed. You will be able to renew overdue items through My Library Record for up to 14 days after the book is due; after that date you need to contact the Library to renew.
- If items are not renewed or returned you will receive an invoice for the item by email. If you are invoiced for an overdue item, whether or not it has been reserved, your access to the Library will be blocked, as well as the ability to borrow or renew.
- If there is no response to the emailed invoice, a paper invoice will be posted to your address. At this stage a £10 non-refundable administration charge becomes payable for each overdue item. It is therefore important that you keep track of all items on loan to you.
- If your fines reach £10 your Library record will be blocked, meaning you can no longer borrow or renew until the fine is cleared.
Fines accrued prior to the new policy
All fines dating from before 5 September 2016 will remain on your Library record and must be paid in full. Items already overdue on 5 September will only accrue fines up to that date; fines will not increase any further after that date.