Answered By: Andrew Willan
Last Updated: May 26, 2017     Views: 875

You should have your ID card with you at all times, to enable access not just to the Library but to other University buildings and facilities. If you lose it you should apply for a new one.

If you do forget your card though, as long as you have a Managed Windows Service username and password you can self-issue a temporary ID card in the Harold Cohen and Sydney Jones Libraries. This allows you access to the Library until 6am the next day. Cards are issued from a kiosk in the ground floor Reception area in either Library. You can request a maximum of 15 temporary passes per academic year. 

Please note that to ensure consistency and security of our services, we do not allow anyone to borrow without their card. A temporary card cannot be used for borrowing. We will, however, put a book on one side for you for 24 hours, so that you can borrow it when you have your card. 

While the temporary card is active your normal staff/student ID card is deactivated, and if you find it you will not be able to use it in the Library for the rest of the day. You can only issue one temporary pass per day so you should take care not to lose it. If you lose your temporary card, entry to the Library is discretionary and will be noted as a cardless visit on your Library record.

A card will not be issued if you have a block on your library record, either a Finance or Visa block, or a Library block due to unpaid debts or unreturned items.

If you are a new student and do not yet have your University ID card you may still be able to self-issue a temporary card, which is valid until the next day, if you can not do this please speak to library staff.

If you are a Visitor, Sconul Access or Alumni member of the Library and you have forgotten your card please speak to a member of staff at the help desk. 

Related Questions