Answered By: Gwen Jones Last Updated: Oct 04, 2017 Views: 630
The Library is still here for you but some of our services may look a little different. For full details about all of our resources and services and how things may be different this year, please see Getting Started With the Library
Fines are only payable on:
- overdue short loan (1 days /weekend loans).
- standard and 7-day loan items when the item is overdue and has been reserved by another Library customer.
Overdue and reserved books - £1 per day
For other items the charges are:
Short loan - £1 immediate fine and £1 per day thereafter
Equipment e.g. head phones - £1 immediate fine and £1 per day thereafter
Laptops - £1 immediate fine and £1 per hour thereafter up to a maximum of £5 per loan
- If your fines exceed £10 you can no longer borrow or renew until the fine is cleared or reduced.
Fines can also be paid in person at the Help Desks during staffed hours.
You can also pay fines online via My Library Account. If you use this service your fines will not be cleared until the next working day. If you wish to borrow items immediately, please pay at the Help Desk. Note that you will need a Library PIN to be able to log into your Library Account.
Do not use this service if you have received a bill about a lost item. Please contact us instead.
Part of the charge payable on your record may be for the cost of replacing the book, rather than just fines. If books are not returned after 28 days of being overdue an invoice letter will be sent, via email. This presumes that the book has been lost and gives an estimated replacement cost for a new book.
If we do not hear from you for another 28 days following the date of the invoice an accurate replacement charge will be input.
If the book has not been lost, return it to the library as soon as possible. Once it has been returned, the replacement cost will be removed from your record.
Please note if you receive a bill for a book that you still have, please do not pay the bill online. Instead bring the book back and speak to Library staff. If you have paid a bill in error for a book that is not lost, again contact Library staff so we can arrange a refund.
We do understand that sometimes, through no fault of their own, Library customers can incur fines. Therefore, in situations where there are mitigating circumstances (e.g. illness, bereavement) the charge is negotiable. Speak to a member of staff or get in touch using one of the Contact Us options.
The Library fines system is in place to try and ensure fair and equal access to the Library holdings and not a way to punish people and make money.
- Although there are no fines for unreserved items, we ask that Library customers monitor their loans regularly through My Library Account, and renew items as they become due. This is important so that you are aware if an item you have on loan has been reserved. Please return items as soon as you have finished with them, so they are available to others.
- A Courtesy notice is sent the day before the item is due back to remind you to return or renew.
- You will receive overdue notices if items are not returned or renewed
- Before you graduate you must return all your library books and settle any outstanding fees. Failure to do so may result in details of the debt being passed to the University Fees Office.
As long as you return books before midnight on the day they are due for return you will not get fined.