Answered By: Nadia Woods Last Updated: Sep 07, 2021 Views: 13
The library is here for you but some of our services may look a little different at the moment. For details about all of our resources and services, visit Getting Started With the Library.
This document is designed to assist in the construction of PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans) for University staff and students, and for use by visitors and support workers.
It details support in place and advises on what you may need to do in the event of a firm evacuation if you have a disability or mobility impairment;
If you would like a personal tour of the Library or to be shown any equipment, please contact the Library via firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
What to do in an emergency evacuation
Do not use any of the lifts apart from the glass fronted one at the end of the link corridor between Grove and Abercromby Wings behind the staircase that connects to reception.
- Make your way to the nearest emergency exit if you are able to, following the green fire exit signs (see section below).
- Make your way to the assembly point in Abercromby Square.
- If you need assistance to evacuate the building, please make your way to a staircase refuge area on any floor and call Campus Support on 0151 794 2222. Emergency numbers are available on the stairwells for Library customers to call for help in an emergency.
University staff and/or Fire Rescue Services will assist in evacuation if this is required. However you will not be evacuated in the case of a false alarm.
Floors with Accessible Evacuation Routes in the Library
Direct accessible evacuation routes are available only on the ground and basement floors. These floors offer wheelchair access to evacuate the building via direct access to a fire exit. The first and second floors do not offer direct accessible routes out of the building.
Additional Support/Equipment to assist with evacuation
- Digital Message Service: We advise everybody to opt into this by texting the code SJLDMS to 07797870999. This service send a text when the fire alarm is activated.
- Tannoy announcements will be made, initially, when the alarm is activated to alert customers
- Evacuation Chairs are situated on staircases and staff are trained in their use.
|Sydney Jones Library - Abercromby to Grove link (423c)|
|2nd floor glass lift, 299c|
|1st floor main stairwell, Door 130|
|Sydney Jones Library - Grove wing (423d)|
|2nd Floor Silent Study Fire Exits, Door 248|
|2nd Floor Rear Stairwell, Door 238|
|1st Floor Rear Stairwell, Door 144|
|1st Floor Middle Stairwell, Door 161|
- Handrails are on all staircases
- Emergency pull cords in disabled toilets