Answered By: Gwen Jones Last Updated: Sep 07, 2021 Views: 4
The library is here for you but some of our services may look a little different at the moment. For details about all of our resources and services, visit Getting Started With the Library.
This document is designed to assist in the construction of PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans) for University staff and students, and for use by visitors and support workers.
It details support in place and advises on what you may need to do in the event of a firm evacuation if you have a disability or mobility impairment.;
If you would like a personal tour of the Library or to be shown any equipment, please contact the Library via email@example.com to make an appointment.
What to do in an emergency situation
Do not use any of the lifts apart from the glass fronted one near the main entrance.
- Make your way to the nearest emergency exit if you are able to, following the green fire exit signs (see section below). Accessible routes are available on the lower ground, upper ground and ground floor rear levels.
- If at all possible please let staff know you are safe if you have signed in to the Library. Staff will be located outside the entrance to the library.
- Make your way to the assembly point under the archway into the Quadrangle.
- If you need assistance to evacuate the building, please make your way to the central staircase if you are able. If you are unable to do this, please phone Library staff on 07799381221 or Campus Support on 0151 794 2222.
University staff and/or Fire Rescue Services will assist in evacuation if this is required. However you will not be evacuated in the case of a false alarm.
Where possible, Library staff will make contact with you when they re-enter the building to confirm that your presence and location were reported in line with procedures, if you have signed into the library.
Floors with accessible evacuation routes in the Library
Accessible evacuation routes are available on the lower ground and upper ground floors. You are advised to use these floors especially in the evenings and at weekends when fewer staff are on duty in the building.
Additional support/equipment to assist with evacuation
- Digital Message Service: If you would like to opt into this please text the code HCLDMS to 07797870999. This service sends a text when the fire alarm is activated.
- Mobile phone numbers: In emergencies call Library staff on 07799381221 or Campus Security on 0151 794 2222.
- Tannoy announcements will be made, initially, when the alarm is activated to alert customers
- Evacuation Chairs are situated on staircases and staff are trained in their use.
|Harold Cohen Library|
|Stair 1 (North) - None|
|Stair 2 (Central) - 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Floors|
|Stair 3 (South) - 3rd Floor|
|Stair 4 (PC 5 & 6) - 1st Floor|
|Stair 5 (PC 7 & 8) - 1st Floor|
- Handrails are on all staircases
- Emergency pull cords in disabled toilets