Answered By: Robert Cole Last Updated: Mar 24, 2017 Views: 756
Harold Leopold Cohen (23rd July 1873 - died 27 July 1936) was the son of Alderman Louis Cohen, former Lord Mayor of Liverpool who was a nephew of David Lewis, founder of Lewis's department store that was on Renshaw Street. Harold Cohen was associated with Lewis's for 45 years, becoming the first chairman when Lewis's became a public company.
He made a gift to the University of £100,000 for the building of a new Library in Ashton Street, to replace the old Tate Library. This was the largest benefaction that the University had ever received.
Sadly, he died on 27th July 1936, the very day he was due to lay the foundation stone. The Harold Cohen Library was formally opened by former Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin (then Earl Baldwin of Bewdley) in May 1938.