Answered By: (Online Librarian or covering Librarian) Online Programmes Last Updated: Oct 18, 2019 Views: 1736
To request changes please contact the Librarian for Online Programmes (PC 18/10/19).
Quick Solutions for technical problems
- Make sure you log into the Library before accessing resources.
- Make sure your Web browser is upgraded to the latest version (see below).
- Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (see below).
- Reset your Web browser to default settings (see below).
- Restart your computer then try accessing resources again.
Problems Logging into Library resources
Note for Online Programmes
Online students should always log into the Library Web site for Online Programmes at http://libguides.liv.ac.uk/onlineprogrammes If you do not log in when you visit the Library Web site you will be asked to log in when you try to access individual platforms/ collections/ E-Resources.
General technical guidelines when accessing the Library
- For login difficulties (e.g. forgotten password) you can obtain help at any time - including all closed/vacation times using our 24/7 IT Service Desk. If you have problems accessing the Library for Online Programmes or E-Resources (E-Books, E-Journal articles etc.) and this remains an ongoing problem, you are recommended to contact the Librarian for Online Programmes as soon as possible to seek advice and support.
- Computer Updates - Make sure your PC is updated to the latest version, e.g. Windows, Macintosh, Ubuntu, visit the Web site of your operating system and follow the instructions to update, or alternatively activate updates from within the operating system.
- Web browsers - To access Library resources you should have the most recent version of your Web browser, we recommend the latest version of Internet Explorer (for Windows), Safari (for Mac) or Firefox or Google Chrome (any platform).
- You can also reset your Web Browser to factory default settings to overcome configuration problems:
- PDF issues - You should also have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ If you are having problems using PDF documents you can remove your PDF reader from your PC, then download and install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Restart the PC and see if this has resolved your problem.
- Unavailable E-Resources - Use tools provided by the Library to visit a specific required article, E-Book etc. try a search for the work title using our multi-DISCOVER platform, articles can also be located using global journal/citation platforms such as SCOPUS and Web of Science, or tools such as 'Go to an article'. Note - Online students can see these tools on the homepage and E-Resources/journals pages within the Library for Online Programmes. Also see our guideline on unavailable resources.
Connectivity/ Access Difficulties
Particularly for some world regions (N/E Africa, SE Asia/ mainland China, Russian Federation, Zimbabwe, Mid East)
If you experience connection difficulties - particularly if you are located in regions such as N/E Africa, SE Asia/ mainland China, Russian Federation, Zimbabwe, Mid East, UAE (United Arab Emirates) - and notice unusual behaviour such as server error messages, blank screen etc. when logging into E-Resources, then you may experience difficulties accessing Library Web pages or E-Resources (databases/ collections licensed by the Library).
You may need to access the Library using a virtual private network (VPN) service. Note - you should ensure you comply with VPN regulations in your region.
Some VPN options include -
- Yandex browser (when installed, activate Turbo Mode, see further guidance).
- Epic browser (you may need to activate Epic's proxy setting, also see further guidance).
- Opera browser (when installed, activate Opera VPN see further guidance).
- Citrix desktop client (important - see instructions for Windows or Mac/OSX) you can then try running a Web browser from Citrix to access the Library
- Use an alternative VPN, e.g. VPN plugin for Chrome, Firefox or other browser.
For any ongoing Library connectivity issues you are recommended to contact the Librarian for Online Programmes as soon as possible to seek advice and support.
Secure Web site warnings (shown in Web browser or 3rd party Firewall, Virus scanner, Malware scanner)
I can’t log into 'Athens' on a particular collection/ system on the Internet...
The University library does not use the Athens system for logging into subscribed resources/ Web sites. You should log into the Library Web site and use the search tools and links to access resources/ collections.
IT Support for Technical Problems
You can also call our 24/7 IT support line to troubleshoot your technical problem: +44 (0)151 794 4567.
Support for online students:
We provide a dedicated E-Learning Librarian to assist you in using Library resources. If you have any problems using the Library or technical problems, please see the Contacts area of the Library for Online Programmes. Also see our guides, videos, tutorials and Library Training Module available via the Library for Online Programmes.