Answered By: Jane Cooke
Last Updated: Apr 25, 2018     Views: 93

If your lecture includes material whose copyright is owned by third-parties, it is the responsibility of each staff member not to infringe the intellectual property rights of these third-parties when they are used in lectures.

If lectures contain such material, to avoid risk, either a copyright exception, a licence, or direct permission to use the work must apply to use the materials legitimately. If any of these do not apply, alternatively the work must have been made available to use by it being out of copyright, the waiving of copyright or via Creative Commons license. Attribution should be made.

In short, third-party materials may require permission for use/inclusion, unless one of the following statutory copyright exceptions applies:

Permission to Use Third-Party Materials using Copyright Exceptions for Education:

  • The material is included solely to illustrate a point;
  • The material is included for the purpose of criticism or review;
  • The material is being used for quotation;
  • The material is included for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche;

For ANY of the above copyright exceptions to be applied, the use of the material must ALSO come under the concept of ‘fair-dealing’ i.e.

  • The amount of the material used must be reasonable and appropriate to the specific purpose - usually only part of a work may be used.
  • Use of the material must not interfere with the commercial interests of the rights holder
  • The material must not be used for commercial purposes;
  • The material must be accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement/attribution;

Permission to include third-party materials under Licence:

• The material has been copyright-cleared and scanned under the CLA Licence and reported to the Library by either completing a Copyright Notice, or requesting Digitisation via Reading Lists @ Liverpool

• Any material from an electronic source is being used under the terms and conditions of the website or the publisher’s licence

• Film and sound recordings used under ERA license or material from Box of Broadcasts – only to be accessible within the UK

Other permissions to include Third-Party Materials:

• The material is available under an open licence such as Creative Commons

• The material is out of copyright (usually 70 years after the death of the creator)

• Permission has been granted in writing for such reuse by the rights holder

Comments (0)

Related Questions