Answered By: Nadia Woods
Last Updated: Aug 26, 2021     Views: 8

The library is here for you but some of our services may look a little different at the moment. For details about all of our resources and services, visit Getting Started With the Library.

Student Welfare and Guidance (SWAG) 

Student Welfare and Guidance (SWAG) can offer initial advice to young adult carers and if appropriate can allocate a dedicated member of staff to support them through their studies. This named contact in SWAG can act as a link between the student, the University, the student's local authority and other external agencies and is available for one-to-one support on all aspects of University life.

  • Advice / support is offered on any aspect of how caring responsibilities may affect academic studies eg. Meeting deadlines, attendance of lectures
  • SWAG may forward details to departments to agree a support plan if required.
  • Agreed support plans are reviewed and updated as required.

In order to access support you will need to register with SWAG. To make an appointment:

Email: or

Telephone: 0151 794 5863


Library Support

Library services are offered flexibly (24/7, different ways of accessing help, self-service issue and return etc) to everybody and will help carers generally but additional services are offered as follows:

  • Longer loans
  • Authorisation for nominated friends to pick up books on their behalf.

SWAG will email registered carers details to the University Library and a note will be added to the student's account indicating that they are a carer and will need additional help. 


Further support and Bursery

The Widening Participation and Outreach team provide a range of engaging activities, which aims to support young people to build their confidence, skills and increase knowledge and awareness of higher education.

The University also provides a bursary for students who are young adult carers. 


Comments (0)

Related Questions