Answered By: (Online Librarian or covering Librarian) Online Programmes Last Updated: Jun 25, 2018 Views: 1419
To request changes please contact the Librarian for Online Programmes (PC 25/06/18).
I am studying off-campus and have technical problems when viewing library systems/platforms
General guidelines when accessing the Library
- For UoL (MWS) login difficulties (e.g. forgotten password) you can obtain help at any time - including all closed/vacation times using our 24/7 IT Service Desk. If you have problems accessing the Library for Online Programmes or E-Resources (E-Books, E-Journal articles etc.) and this remains an ongoing problem, you are recommended to contact the Librarian for Online Programmes as soon as possible to seek advice and support.
- Make sure your PC is updated to the latest version, e.g. Windows, Macintosh, Ubuntu, visit the Web site of your operating system and follow the instructions to update, or alternatively activate updates from within the operating system.
- To access Library resources you should have the most recent version of your Web browser, we recommend the latest version of Internet Explorer (for Windows), Safari (for Mac) or Firefox or Google Chrome (any platform).
- You can also reset your Web Browser to factory default settings to overcome configuration problems:
- If you are having problems using PDF documents you can remove your PDF reader from your PC, then download and install the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Restart the PC and see if this has resolved your problem.
- For further suggestions on solving technical problems see this technical problems guide (also Video/ PowerPoint versions).
Access Difficulties in some world regions (N/E Africa, SE Asia/ mainland China, Russian Federation, Zimbabwe, Mid East)
If you are located in regions such as N/E Africa, SE Asia/ mainland China, Russian Federation, Zimbabwe, Mid East, UAE (United Arab Emirates) and notice unusual behaviour such as server error messages, blank screen etc. when logging into E-Resources, then you may experience difficulties accessing Library Web pages or E-Resources (databases/ collections licensed by the Library).
You may need to access the Library using a virtual private network (VPN) service. Note - you should ensure you comply with VPN regulations in your region.
Some VPN options include -
- Opera Web browser (you will likely need to activate Turbo mode - see this guide to activating Turbo mode). An alternative option in Opera is to activate Opera’s VPN.
- Use of UoL Citrix virtual desktop software, this involves installing and logging into our Citrix desktop client using your UoL (MWS) login. The Citrix application provides a virtual desktop to run UoL software as if you were on-campus, including Web browsers such as Chrome, which you can run to access the Library for Online Programmes and other WWW content.
- Use of an alternative browser VPN, such as VPN plugins available for Chrome, Firefox or other browsers.
- For any ongoing Library connectivity issues you are recommended to contact the Librarian for Online Programmes as soon as possible to seek advice and support.
IT Support for Technical Problems
You can also call our 24/7 IT support line to troubleshoot your technical problem: +44 (0)151 794 4567.
Support for online students:
We provide a dedicated E-Learning Librarian to assist you in using Library resources. If you have any problems using the Library or technical problems, please see the Contacts area of the Library for Online Programmes. Also see our guides, videos, tutorials and Library Training Module available via the Library for Online Programmes.